Friday 31 January 2014

Women In Madness: A walk through high school Literature

Okey Dokes. So school has officially started. During the last week of the holidays, I finally found myself wanting to get back to school. Surprise surprise. I thought that I had developed a distinct aversion to school and that wouldn't have been good because I still have a whole 3 years of schooling left. What would happen if I had a chip on my shoulder about it for the whole time? So I ended up really enjoying the so called "first day back" instead of crying for mummy. I love my new electives and my new teachers are a lot better than they were last year. But I seem to have found a love for a particular English subject.

My electives are brilliant! Aside from the fact that maths has already started to do my head in, I am in love with my new electives! I'm doing a literature subject called "Women in Madness". It focuses on literature pieces written by women during the last few centuries and the culture that really shaped that sort of literature. I've only recently started reading what they call "The Classics", and I'll admit that it is a challenge getting used to that sort of language. I do find myself having read a whole page, and then realised that I didn't understand a word of it. But I do love the stories, or at least, from what I've heard about them I do. Even the stories behind the stories, the disadvantages that these powerful female writers had struggled through, the gender divided society that shaped the their stories and in turn moulded the world of literature today. 

Did you know, Charlotte Bronte, the author of Jane Eyre, and her sister, like several other female writers of their time, published their works under pseudonyms due to the gender discrimination that ruled during their time? I mean, who in their right minds, during the mid 1800'ds would have thought that the popular "Jane Eyre" written by Currer Bell was in fact written by a struggling female writer? They would have said "Poppy Cocks! A female writer behind our 'Jane Eyre'! Who would have heard of such a thing!" 

I also think it was a really good idea for my teacher to start off with "The Rear Window" 1954 by Alfred Hitchcock starring the one and only Grace Kelly. Oh, She's...oh there are no words. I mean, even Princess Diana strove to be like her! Well they did die in the same tragic way. Car crashes are such a tragedy. 




She is so beautiful. And her acting! My god! She is an amazing actress! My friend caught me out yesterday for unconsciously mirroring her tragic facade. Unfortunately, I have a tragic eyebrow that always ends up slightly higher than the other. It also twitches uncontrollable when asked to perform the most easiest of all tasks: Copying Grace Kelly's heart-rending expression. 

No comments:

Post a Comment